Sunday, April 26, 2009

The Handmaid's Tale (up to end of story) - Blog for 4/27

I felt that the conclusion of the book was weird. What did the Wife really want to do to Offred? Did she even have the power to do anything horrible, or just make her life miserable in the household? Was Nick really helping her at the end or was it just a scheme by the Eyes? Were the people from the black van really people from this secret "Mayday" community that helps the Handmaids out of tight situations? Where did Offred really go in the end? If the people on the black van were those who were helping the Handmaids, does this mean that Ofglen suicided on the wrong impression of a black van? There are so many questions left unanswered in this cliffhanger ending. (Is that what it's called?)

Overall, I was at first bored by the book, then disgusted after reading the really detailed parts about the Ceremony. But after reading more than half of the book, I finally grew used to their society and was interested, but only about their history and their future. Their daily life, to me, was still a bit too sad to handle. I really wished for some sort of happy ending. For example, the success of their resistance, Offred's meeting with Luke, or Offred's reunion with her daughter would have been a nice close to the story. I would rate this book an 8 out of 10.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that the ending was weird. It almost seemed like Offred was just imagining things. I think the Wife was just going to make Offred transfer to another Commander, not anything serious. She was already making Offred’s life miserable. I think she did have the power to do something horrible to Offred because it seemed like Offred would be too scared to report Serena the Wife to the Eyes. I really do think that Nick helped Offred escape with the supposed Eyes. Nick and Offred had some love going on between each other. If Nick was telling the truth, the people from the van must have been the secret “Mayday” community that helps Handmaids in tough situations. I think Offred went to the Colonies or something like that, to go find her mother. I think the van that was coming for Ofglen was the real thing because it was not the right time for the “Mayday” helpers to come and rescue Ofglen. There were too many people there to rescue Ofglen.
    I think it is called a cliffhanger ending.
    I liked the book too. I wish the story ended with Offred and her daughter in her arms instead of a mysterious ending. Throughout the book I was predicting the ending to have reconciliation. I guess I can imagine the ending in my head.

    ReplyDelete