Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Handmaid's Tale - General Conclusion Blog

This book made me realize some important things about my reading. I often read for plot and don't analyze the text enough. Before we started the propaganda activities, I didn't even realize that propaganda existed in the book. I also realize I don't ask enough questions while I'm reading. I seem to read through confusing parts hoping for an explanation soon after. If i don't find an explanation, I deem that part too confusing and move on. This, I now know, doesn't help me at all. If I don't understand something, I should mark it and ask questions until I understand it. Although there may be no answers to my questions, there can be some guesses I can make or deduce some answer from the feeling i get from the rest of the book. I also learned to pay attention to neologisms, which are words created by the author because those terms do not yet exist in our world. Neologisms give off a hint of what's truly important in the book and can help the reader understand the character development, setting, and plot even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment