Monday, April 20, 2009

The Handmaid's Tale (up to ch 31) - Early blog for 4/21

Up to this point in the novel, I think I've grown more accustomed to the society in Handmaid's Tale. Just like how I took a while to get used to the life in Gethen, I can now read about the events that occur in this book without getting too much of a shock. As I read on, however, I realize that there are a lot of illicit activities that go on despite the new rules. The Commander plays Scrabble and allows Offred to read magazines without his wife or the government knowing. The Wife is suggesting that Offred have a baby with some other man without her husband knowing. I found these secret exchanges to actually be quite ironic, funny even. Fred and Serena Joy each have something they are doing behind their spouse's back. I found it mean, however, that Serena knew about Offred's daughter's whereabouts and did not reveal to her a single clue. No one should keep a mother from seeing her own children; I feel that it's morally unjustified.

Nolite te Bastardes Carborundorum actually meant "don't let the bastards grind you down." While the Commander thought it was just a mere joke, I think that the previous Handmaid wrote the phrase for a different reason. It was probably meant for the next Handmaid, who ended up being Offred, to keep her spirits strong and not give in to the oppression of the female gender.

No comments:

Post a Comment