Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Handmaid's Tale (up to Chapter 40) - Blog for 4/23

Now I'm getting confused about the story. I mean to an extent the novel is actually fairly clear right now as I have an idea of what happened, what is going on, and can even try to make some predictions of the future. But there are some key facts that I want to get clear. Did Offred fall in love with Nick? Did Moira really die trying to escape or rebel again?

These few chapters gave me emotional swings back and forth. I felt a kind of sadness for Offred when she found out from Moira that her mother was in the Colonies and was probably going to die sooner or later cleaning up radioactive waste and chemicals. I felt happy that Offred finally met Moira again after having separated all this time. I felt sad again when Offred tells us that she never saw Moira again after a few meetings.

But now i wonder. Has the Commander (Fred) fallen in love with Offred? If so, will he try to keep Offred in the household and not ship her off to some other place? How will the "love square" between Serena Joy, Fred, Nick, and Offred work out? I'm actually really surprised that I'm thinking about these things in a story with such a serious and tense mood... I really hope that there will be a happy ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment